The UJF is Finland’s only journalist’s organisation that negotiates collective bargaining agreements with employers:
- The collective agreement between the union and the Federation of the Finnish Media Industry (Medialiitto) covers journalists working for newspapers and news agencies, photographers, graphic artists and other editorial staff.
- There is also a generally applicable collective agreement with the Medialiitto covering the contractual terms of publishing editors.
- Freelance press journalists are not covered by collective agreements. The commercial practice of freelance work is however written into a delivery and sales agreement between the union and Medialiitto.
- The collective agreement covering broadcasting staff at the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE concerns fixed-term and permanent employees.
- Freelancers working for the Finnish Broadcasting Company are also covered by a collective agreement.
- The collective agreement with MTV concerns broadcasting employees.
- There are other collective agreements concerning film and TV production staff, and with the staffing agency Mediarinki and Sanoma Entertainment.